Sunday, August 14, 2011

Zucchini Potato Cakes

I didn't have any frozen hash browns, which would have save me some time in preparing this dish. These little cakes are almost half zucchini, so it surprised me that the boys asked for more. Jake was also disappointed that there weren't more. I'll definitely have to double the recipe next time we make this. For there will a next time. I think I'll add some cheese after I've made some for the 3 Allergics. Also, while eating we thought that ham steak would be a great side main dish. Lucky me! I added one to my second servintg, one lone cake topped with corn salsa.


2 cups shredded potatoes or hash browns, thawed
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini, salted & drained
3 medium eggs
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped green bell pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
nonstick cooking spray

Microwave shredded potatoes for 5-6 minutes or until potatoes are soft.

In a medium bowl, combine potatoes, zucchini, flour, onion, bell pepper, salt, black pepper and eggs.

Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat to medium high heat. With a #20 scoop (or 1/4 measuring cup), drop mixture onto skillet. Cook potato cakes about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

Serve with corn salsa. Makes 10-12 cakes

Corn Salsa
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped green bell pepper
9 ounces frozen corn, thawed
1 cup chunky salsa
2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro

Lightly coat a small skillet with cooking spray. Heat on medium heat until hot. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook and stir 3 minutes or until crisp tender. Add corn, salsa, and cilantro. reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 5 minutes or until hot.

No comments: