Friday, July 20, 2012

Creamy Orange Avocado Smoothie

Freeze avocados
A few weeks ago, avocados were on sale. On Pinterest, I saw that you can mash and freeze avocados. I'm all for save $$ now, use later.

Following the photo, I put my avocados in the mixer, but they jumped out every time I turned it on and skittered all over the floor. In hindsight, it must have been  a hilarious sight. At the time, it was extremely frustrating. They must not have been ripe enough.

I eventually got it to work but next time, I'll use the food processor which has a lid, and will result in a smoother consistency. I scooped the mixture into an ice cube tray for easy portioning. Each cube is 1 ounce. Freeze then bag.

My blender did not not break down the avocado cubes very well. It was not tasty to get a chunk of unblended avocado in the middle of the orange creamy goodness :(

This morning, I put a few in the microwave to soften them. I didn't want to melt it into avocado goo, so I nuked it for 10 seconds at a time until it had soft but firm consistency.

Creamy Orange Avocado Smoothie
8 oz. orange juice
1 1/2 cups spinach
2-4 oz. avocado
8 oz. yogurt cubes (vanilla or plain with 2 tsp. vanilla extract)
1-2 Tbs. sugar or a banana



No comments: