Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Apple Chips

With the success of the potato chips, I sought out other items I could  turn into chips. These were an instant hit! Whenever, I make them the boys will ask me "Are they done yet?" or "When will the apple chips be done?" When I open the door, they crowd around enjoying the aroma, almost drooling in anticipation! They can't get enough.

The first time I made them, after 2 hours they didn't seem done. They were a little floppy so I left them in a little longer. I didn't want them to be so crisp that they would fall apart with one bite, so I pulled them out. They were still floppy, but as they cooled they hardened or crisped to perfection. I recommend pulling one out, allowing it to cool then check if you have reached your desired crispiness.

Two things to know

  • The time it takes to bake will depend on how juicy the apples are. (I use whatever I have)
  • They will harden as they cool.
From Vittles and Bits

Apple Chips modified recipe from Vittles and Bits
2 large apples, cored
canola oil spray

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Thinly slice apples crosswise about 1/8-inch (2 mm) thick with a mandoline or sharp knife.  Arrange apple slices in a single layer on two parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets, and spray with canola oil cooking spray.

Bake in the top and bottom third of the oven until apples are dry and crisp, about 2 hours. Remove from oven and let ‘chips’ cool completely before transferring to a sealed container for up to 3 days.  Makes about 2 cups of apple chips.

Cinnamon Sugar Apple Chips
2 T. sugar (optional)
1 t. cinnamon
Combine sugar & cinnamon. Put mixture into a sieve and sprinkle evenly over oiled apple slices.

No comments: