Friday, March 29, 2013

Eggy Oats


photo source: Blogilates
I saw this Microwave Minute Muffin on Pinterest, and thought that the boys would enjoy it. The first time they said it was too firm. I tweaked it until it was an "edible" consistency. Still delicious. Still filling, but now there is no way I would be able to get it to stand up on a plate. We have this most mornings. 

1/4 cup quick cook oats
3 Tbs milk (rice or almond milk, the vanilla almond is especially tasty)
1 egg
1/8 tsp kosher salt (or a pinch, 1/16 tsp of table salt)
1 tsp sugar/sweetener (to taste)
filling: cranberries, toasted pecans, toasted coconut, raisins, cinnamon, etc. . .
a mug

Put oats in a mug. Pour milk on top. Add the remaining ingredient and mix. Microwave for one minute, then stir. 


Variations:
- When my boys want maple syrup in their eggy oats, I decrease the milk to 2 Tbs or it's too runny. Then I'd have to nuke it for a little longer. Those 15 seconds just take up too much time in a morning of rushing about to get ready for school ;)

- Instant oatmeal: Add milk and egg, stir up and cook. 

1 comment:

sherrie bebe said...

We tried this today! Everyone ended up finishing it, though some a little slower than others. My most skeptical eater though, and the one in the most need of protein to regulate blood sugar, devoured it! Thank you for sharing!!