- 1 can pineapple tidbits (8 ounces), drained, juice reserved
- 2 cups cooked macaroni such as elbows or shells
- 1 can water chestnuts (8 ounces), drained and slices
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (white and green parts)
- 1 can albacore tuna, drained
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice from canned pineapple above
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (to taste)
Whisk all dressing ingredients together except oil and sugar. Slowly drizzle in the oil while constantly whisking continuously until fully blended. Add sugar if you like your dressing sweeter.
Toss together all salad ingredients except lettuce and tomatoes with the dressing. Let chill in fridge until ready to serve (up to several hours). To serve, spoon salad over chopped lettuce and top with tomatoes.
Alternative Serving: instead of using canned pineapple, buy a whole fresh pineapple. Cut in half and hollow out the halves to about 3/4 inch from the rind. Chop the pineapple from one of the hollowed-out halves and mix into the salad. The remaining half can be juiced for the dressing (either use a juicer, or puree the pineapple in a blender and strain out the juice). Serve the salad out of the scooped-out halves for a dramatic presentation.