- 2 cups medium grain rice (I used California Calrose rice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium or large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (as always, homemade is best)
- 2 cans, 14 oz. (or 1 can, 28 ounces) Ro-Tel Tomatoes with Green Chiles (use the mild version if you're spice-averse), pureed in the blender
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (use the reduced-sodium version if you have a choice)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and salt. Cook, stirring frequently until the onions have softened slightly. Add the rice and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the rice just starts get brown. Add the chili powder and continue to cook for another 30 seconds. Add the tomato puree and broth, stirring well, and bring to a boil. Cover and place in the oven. Once the rice is tender (about 25 minutes), remove from oven. Stir well with to ensure the sauce is evenly distributed and let sit uncovered for 5-10 minutes before serving.