- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika.
- 1-2 canned chipotle chillies, chopped (there are generally several whole chilies in one can).
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from the canned chilies). This stuff is very spicy, so use less (or leave it out) if you like your food mild.
- 2 tablespoons butter.
- 2 tablespoons sour cream.
Put the sweet potatoes in a steamer. If you do not have an electric steamer, you can use a metal colander set inside a large pot with a couple of cups of gently boiling water in the bottom (do not let the water come up through the bottom of the colander). Cover and steam for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft (but not mushy). Drain off water and put potatoes back in the pot (or a large mixing bowl if you used an electric steamer). Add remaining ingredients and mash together with a hand masher. Using an electric mixer is not recommended, as sweet potatoes will turn pasty/gluey if over-beaten. Serve with minced chives or green onions (or even onion rings!).