Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cross-Rib Pot Roast

I think we too often overlook some very fine pieces of meat because we are unfamiliar with them. I went to the store the other day and the butcher was out of chuck roast (my preferred pot roast cut). Since I really wanted to do a pot roast, I looked for other cuts. I've been disappointed by round/rump cuts as pot roast, and I wasn't in the mood for brisket. That left the cross-rib roast. I'd never personally done one before and was not disappointed - moist, tender, and flavorful, I'm sure I'll be doing this again soon.

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
  • 1 cross-rib roast, 2-4 pounds.
  • 1 small onion, frenched
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped
  • 1/2 cup beef broth
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 bay leaf
Directions

Preheat oven to 200 degrees

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a dutch oven over high heat. When the oil is smoking, brown all sides of roast, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove roast to a plate, reduce heat to medium-high and add remaining oil and vegetables. Saute veggies until the onions are softened and everything starts to brown, 3-5 minutes. Deglaze the dutch oven with broth and add the soup. Stir everything to combine, add the bay leaf and put the roast back in the dutch oven. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and roast in the oven for 4-5 hours, or until the roast is fork-tender. Remove the roast to a serving dish and cover with foil. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Using a stick blender, puree the remaining liquid and vegetables. Shred the roast with two forks and mix in some of the pureed gravy. Serve with potatoes or as a sandwich with gravy on the side.

No comments: