Thursday, August 12, 2010

Watermelon Salsa

On Saturday, I purchased a watermelon in preparation for Watermelon Day on August 3rd. My plan was to cut and serve, but Jake found this recipe in the Salt Lake Tribune by MaryJane Butters. I thought it was worth a try, and it was wonderful. We used it to top our dinner of Bell Pepper Corn Tuna Salad. Yum!! I need to run out to the store to get more limes so I can make more of this tasty stuff.

I love how the watermelon looks like tomatoes.

1 cup watermelon cubes (to mimic a tomato look use a melon baller)
1 avocado, peeled and diced
¼ cup finely chopped red onion
4 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together gently. Chill and serve.

Serves 4

The whole melon balls were a bit big if you are eating this with tortilla chips. Half balls are better. The best and fastest is to slice the watermelon, cut around and remove the edge, then dice the fruit. 

No comments: