Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Lemon Cookies

In my youth, we once had a ward luau in our backyard. As part of the menu, there was your standard luau fare: teriyaki steak, kalua pork, and chicken long rice.  And the not so standard: lemon and orange cookies, orange rolls, and mandarin orange jello. I love citrusy flavors and smells.

The cookies and rolls were so melt in your mouth delicious!! I was so glad that a handout of the recipes was provided (on bright pink and yellow paper. I can always find it in the midst of all the white printouts of recipes).

When I make these I usually go for lemon, but during the holidays I enjoy orange. Then for Chinese New Year, I'll make almond cookies. I love how easily I can change the flavoring to suit my mood or season.

Lemon Cookies recipe modified from Bonnie Workman
1/4 cup apple sauce, drained
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375.
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
Place oil, apple sauce, and sugar in a large bowl and mix.
Add egg, lemon extract and lemon zest.* Mix well.
Add flour mixture in 3 batches to the sugar mixture. Mix well after each addition. Dough will be stiff.
Use a #60 disher (or a tablespoon) to scoop the dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten each cookie.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges.

* A variety of extracts may be used to change the flavor of this cookie.
Orange: 2 teaspoon orange extract, 1 tablespoon orange zest
Almond: 2 teaspoon almond extract, 1/4 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
Vanilla: 2 teaspoon vanilla

36-40 cookies

No comments: