Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Skyline Bagel Sandwich

With credit given to Gandolfo's Deli, this is one of the tastiest bagel sandwiches I've ever eaten! It's also one of the simplest and easiest to make at home that I've discovered. Gandolfo's version cost's almost $4, but in 5 minutes you can make it at home for less than $1's worth of ingredients!

Disclaimer: I've never actually witnessed one of these being made in the deli (their kitchen is hidden in the back), but I've eaten many of them. This is my best approximation of the sandwich, but I don't guarantee that it's identical to the recipe used by Gandolfo's! I am not claiming to represent Gandolfo's Deli in any way, officially or unofficially.

Ingredients (per sandwich)
  • 1 bagel, (I prefer Bubba's onion bagels)
  • 1 1/2 to 2 ounces cream cheese
  • 2-3 slices tomato
  • 1-2 ounces of thinly sliced turkey, ham or Canadian bacon
  • 2 teaspoons softened butter
Directions

Split the bagel and toast the cut side (my toaster has a "Bagel Mode" for this, but you could also use a toaster oven or broiler). Meanwhile, heat a saute pan over high heat and quickly heat up the meat so it slightly browns (if you don't want to heat up or wash a pan, cook for 30 seconds in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl - it won't brown as much but will taste nearly as good). Spread the cream cheese over the cut side of one of the toasted bagel halves. Add the tomato slices and put the meat on top. Spread the butter over the cut side of the other half of the toasted bagel and top the sandwich with it, cut side down. Press firmly with your hand (or cook in a Panini press for 30 seconds), slice in half, and serve.

No comments: