Thursday, June 12, 2014

Garbanzo Curry on Couscous

Let me make one thing perfectly clear - I have never been to India. Therefore, my knowledge of Indian-spiced foods (known as "curry" in most of the English-speaking world) is second- or third-hand. I love to eat at Indian restaurants, and I love to cook from my Indian cookbook. This is an all-time favorite recipe in our home - simple, tasty, and exotic. -Jake.

Update 6/12/14: Last night I was making this dish and I tried a little variation: instead of broth (in the curry) I used tomato juice, and I added about a tablespoon of minced fresh ginger with the garlic. Both changes made for a great improvement!

Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 4 cups cut fresh vegetables - bell peppers, zucchini, carrots, celery, broccoli, red onion . . .
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (and like last time, I still like McCormick brand, although you could make your own)
  • 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas), drained and rinsed.
  • 1/3 cup golden raisins
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
  • 3/4 cup couscous
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
Directions
Over medium-low heat, heat oil in large saucepan. Add vegetables and sweat for 5-10 minutes, or until the veggies are slightly softened. Add garlic, cook 1 minute (until fragrant). Stir in 1 cup broth, curry powder and red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover the simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in garbanzo beans, raisins, and salt. Cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Over medium high heat, bring 1 cup of broth to a boil in a sauce pan. Stir in couscous. Remove from hear and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and almonds with fork to fluff the couscous. To serve, spoon couscous into bowls then top with garbanzo curry.

No comments: