Monday, January 19, 2009

Simple Steak Rub

So I recently invested a few hundred dollars in a cow. More precisely, I bough ¼ of a whole cow and filled my freezer with high-quality beef. Now that I have all this beef, I've got to figure out how to cook it all. Since I don't want steak to get "boring," I decided that I need to come up with different ways to cook each meal. I decided to go simple with my first attempt: cumin rub with au jus. Wow! It turned out perfectly, so I had to share the recipe.

Ingredients
  • 24-36 ounces of steak (top sirloin, rib eye, strip steak), cut 1½ inches thick and portioned into 4 steaks.
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cumin (freshly toasted and ground would be best)
  • 1 tablespoon vegatable oil
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon cold butter
Instructions
Take steak from fridge and trim exterior fat. Mix salt, pepper, and cumin. Evenly sprinkle the salt mixture onto both sides of steak and pat on to adhere. Let the steak rest at room temperature for 30-60 minutes.
Heat the oil in a large (12-inch) cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until you see wisps of smoke appear. Carefully place the steaks in the pan (lay them down away from you to avoid splatters) and do not touch them for at least 4 minutes to achieve medium-rare doneness (5-6 minutes for more well-done). Flip the steaks and cook for another 4 minutes (or longer for more well-done).
Remove the steaks to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil. Keeping the skillet on medium-high, add the broth and scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or wisk. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring constantly, until broth is slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in butter until it is completely melted. Serve each steak with a small bowl of sauce on the side.