- 3 cans (14 ounces each) fire roasted tomatoes, with juice
- 24 ounces beef broth (use vegetable broth for a vegetarian option)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley (uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, ground in mortar or blender
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
Place tomatoes (with juice), broth, garlic, barley, rosemary, and Italian seasoning in a large pot. Bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly (about 3 minutes). Add fresh basil, vinegar, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Note: If fresh basil is not available, you may use 1 teaspoon dried basil, added with the Italian seasoning.
Serving Suggestions (Try one or all of them!)
- Add fresh pasta and simmer for another 3 minutes (or until al dente, 7-8 minutes for dried pasta)
- Put a 1/4 cup of cooked (or canned and rinsed) white beans in each serving bowl before pouring in soup
- Top with freshly toasted sourdough croutons and Parmesan cheese