- One Corned Beef Brisket, store bought or prepared according to Monday's recipe.
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound chopped carrots
- 1/2 pound chopped onion
- 1 pound red potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 pound chopped celery
- 1 small head cabbage (about 2 pounds), chopped
Thoroughly rinse the brisket under cold running water. Place the brisket, pepper, allspice, and bay in a large stock pot (at least 8 quarts in volume), with 3 quarts (12 cups) of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer gently for 2 1/2 hours.
Add potatoes, carrots, and onions. Return to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are just fork-tender. Remove the bay leaves and serve.
This might seem like it makes a ridiculous amount of dinner. Do not despair - leftover corned beef hash is good enough to justify making this dinner just for the leftovers!