Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Zucchini Brownies


While perusing Mindika Moments, I found this little gem of a  recipe. My favorite dessert? Brownies!! Another great way to use our zucchini, satisfy my sweet tooth, and it's safe for the 3 Allergics.

I tried the recipe the night before I was taking it to a post baby blessing luncheon. Really?! New recipes need to have a test run before taken places. Silly me! The batter was really thick and didn't want to move around. Rather than shove it into the corners, I just baked it, thinking it would ooze out to the ends. That's what my usual batters do. I was wrong! I had a brownie blob in the middle of the pan. At least, it was delicious and easy to cut into appealing squares. 

Since then I've made it a few times: plain (without any nuts) and with pecans in the batter. Both ways are delicious. 

1 ½ C. sugar
½ C. oil
2 C. grated or puréed zucchini
2 t. vanilla
2 C. flour
1 t. salt
1 ½ t. baking soda
½ C. cocoa
½ C. toasted pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a jelly roll pan (10 x 15 1/2) with aluminum foil. 
In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, oil, zucchini, and vanilla. Mix well.
Add salt, baking soda, and coco, then mix. Add nuts here for a nutty brownie. Add flour, mix until moist.
Pour batter into jelly roll pan then spread it out an oiled spatula. The batter is a sticky beast 
Bake at  for 20 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. 

  • Baking times may vary due to the water content of the zucchini. If you use a bigger zucchini, which has more liquid in it, the brownie batter will take longer to bake. 
  • You can use a tea towel to squeeze the extra liquid out before adding the shredded zucchini to the batter. 

Remove and allow to cool.






Frost with chocolate frosting (recipe below) and top with nuts. We skip this part

CHOCOLATE FROSTING
½ C. butter; softened
1 lb. powdered sugar
½ C. cocoa
1 t. vanilla
¼ + milk
1. In a mixing bowl combine the butter, sugar and cocoa.
2. While mixing add the milk until the frosting reaches desired consistency.
3. If you accidentally add too much milk, add more sugar to compensate.

I put some coconut pecan frosting on top and it was yummy! Jake has requested that the next batch have more zucchini, and pecans, and that I bake them in a 8 x 11.5 pan. He likes them a little thicker.

No comments: